A few days after the folks left, it was back to Heathrow where I was heading off for a work trip to Minneapolis. This was where I attended the World Marrow Donor Association conference to learn more and network. It felt like a mini UN gathering with reps from around the globe - so many languages and accents! I was also doing a speaking slot about the benefits and differences we've found when using saliva kits to test those who join our register. It was a really insightful time and great to see that we're not alone in our aim to help save more lives from blood cancers.
This was my first trip to the US and my first impressions probably don't reflect what I'd find in other parts of the country. I felt Minneapolis city lacked a heart without much history, culture and so many concrete four lane roads everywhere. However it was amazing that some relatives, Dan and Ila Ronning, live in Minneapolis and that we had a chance to catch up over some dinner. They were such a lovely couple and so welcoming. On our last day my colleagues and I had a few hours to spare to do the tourist trail of Minneapolis, a sculpture park and the Mall of America, which is the largest shopping centre in the States. It was huge, including a massive theme park right smack bang in the middle of it. My favourite thing though was the cheesiness of Bubba's Shrimp restaurant with all things Forrest Gump adorning it.
No comments:
Post a Comment